Stientje Sweater, full steam ahead

So I ripped back to the coloured yoke and there I picked up the 193 stitches that were at the yoke. I interpreted the 10,75 st per 10 cm that I found previously as 10 st/10 cm just because I liked the numbers better and knitting stretches.

It means I need the stitchcount to be reduced to 130 stitches within two rounds of starting with the white yarn on these 193 stitches. That’s reducing about 60 stitches.

That’s nice because reducing 60 stitches means reducing every third stitch. So I will knit: *k2tog, k1, ssk, k1* and that would reduce about 60 stitches leaving me with about 130 stitches.

I did so and was eager to know if this was enough or too much but I couldn’t tell until the sweater was further along.

So I knitted two more rows and then separated for the sleeves. For this I put a second circular needle to about half of the stitches so I could easily put it over my head and around my body. I put on the yoke and chose based on the colours what part of the sweater I would prefer to be at the front. I chose a part with clear pink, to compliment my face (I’m a Bright Winter type)

Then I guessed, by eye and by tugging at the fabric, where about my sleeves should start and end. I marked those places with safety pins. I took of the yoke and made sure the amount of stitches between the pins were the same. I leveled the numbers.

I picked up the knitting needle and knitted to the first pin, then I put all the stitches between the pins on a piece of string. I cast on 4 stitches (forward loop) and knitted on to the next pin (the 3rd one). Put all those stitches on a string, casted on 4 stitches and knitted 4 rounds.

Then I put half of the stitches on a second circular needle and put on the yoke-now-sweater-to-be to see if I had guessed right for the sleeves and the amount of stitches.

I had not. It was too tight, the cast on stitches at the underarm stretched too much and it also seems I did not have enough stitches at the front.  But it was hard to see with only four rounds knitted…

So I ripped back to where the sleeves were on their pieces of string. Casted on 8 stitches in stead of 4. Worried a bit more and increased one stitch on either side of the front. I knitted 8 rounds and tried it on again for fit.

Now it’s right.

I can now continue knitting untill I pass my bossom and it’s time to think about bustdarts. all this above took me about 4 hours I think. Knitting with needles 7 mm means this is fást.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s