finished: Silk Summer Top

I finished a Summer Top in Silk:

the pattern is Buttercup by Heidi Kirrmaier. A very well written pattern, free.

it asks for a DK yarn on needles 3,25 or 3,5 mm (US 3 or US 4) to get a gauge of 22 st to the 10 cm (4″)

I used a proper DK yarn: Lang Yarn Seta Tweed but I had to use needles 2 mm to get that gauge. I’m funny that way.

Because of the silk it has a lovely vibrant colour. It is spun from silk waste I think, it has short fibres. Normally silk has long smooth fibres, because the cocon that the caterpillar has spun around itself in one continuing thread is carefully unwinded.

In theory, silk made from short fibres such as this Seta Tweed could be made from cocons from which the caterpillar was allowed to live and eat its way out. But in practice it’s more likely the long fibres were used for high end yarn and the small fluff was spun into this yarn. Which is a good yarn too. It does break easily when put under pressure. Not good for weaving I guess. Or cats’ play. But lovely colour and very soft and allround luxury yarn.

I am very pleased with this top. It has a lot of bust darts, yes. I deviated from the pattern and also gave it a lot of waist shaping, I went down to an x-small because I suspect that’s my size. This is a fitted top now and it looks smashing. I’ll take a picture of me wearing it as soon as there’s a bit of Summer in this country. Right now, it’s raining.

projectpage on Ravelry

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s