After trying out a few more ways of crocheting the blocks together….
I settled on the first method I tried out. Pretty much how you come back to the first glasses or shoes you tried out when shopping.
It’s the first half of this one:
“Crochet one here, let them eat orange, crochet one there, let them eat orange”
It gives a soft ridge (beware of hard ridges in blankets) and it’s stretchy too.
I merrily started out stringing my blocks along with my crochet hook. Making sure I only picked up 25 stitches on a side when doing so.
After an evening of work I had stuck eight blocks together and it looked like this:
Picking up stitches in crochet from knitted edges and not inserting stitches in every row because I only need 25 did the blocks no favours.
The edges are distorted. The knitting looks so irregular and awful.
I ripped everything out. I figured: knitted blocks need knitting to get their stitchcount corrected. These blocks need a stitch picked up in each row and each stitch. Thén you can increase or decrease. But don’t do that whíle picking up stitches.
So this is what I do now:
Much better. Neater.
With knitting needles I pick up one stitch for every stitch/row. I use needles 2,5 mm. I then knit one row, adjusting the stitch count as necessary.
The block now has two rows of orange. Don’t cut yarn. Put aside.
Do the same with the next block, using a different ball of orange. Cut yarn when this block has its two rows of orange knitting.
I then stick the two blocks together with crochet hook 3,5mm, using the yarn from block nr.1.
I think I do slipstich: Hook is in first loop from block 1. I pull the yarn through the first loop from block 2 and through the loop already on my hook.
Now I pull the yarn though the second loop on block 1 and through the loop already on my hook.
Now I pull the yarn though the second loop on block 2 and through the loop already on my hook.
It gives the same soft and stretchy ridge as before. It looks way better. Not perfect but it fits the blanket.
I like where this is going: