Day 2 at the cabin

I had a lovely day at the cabin, with again lots of wool things.

I did a little bit of spinning when I was fresh out of bed and sipping my morning tea:

When I rested I did some more knitting at Emma, a pleasant knit:

When I didn’t want to think or look at my knitting I worked on the Noro legwarmer:

But the main course of the day was the sleeve surgery at Contiguous Blue, the latest problem being that when the cable read “turn every 3rd Right Side Row” I forget to translate this to knitting in the round:


This is not the same cable as higher up the sleeve, it turns too fast.

You know what I have to do:

This is the fourth time I’ve ripped back this sleeve.

First I knit this sleeve following the exact instructions from Deco Cardi which is knit in the same yarn and the same size needle so I figured: “homerun“.
Not so much.
Since “KNIT SLEEVE ON BIGGER NEEDLES” is written in every sweater pattern I do because my gauge tightens in the (small) round I had knit the sleeve on 5 mm needles. Like I did on Deco Cardi. But with Contiguous Blue there was a nasty hickup visible because the transition is mid-sleeve.

With a sleeve where you pick up stitches around the armhole and knit downwards bigger needles are fine. (Deco Cardi, Pumpkin Ale)
But when it’s a yoked cardigan and there’s already half a sleeve there, changing needles leaves a visible difference between the existing and the new knitting.
I learned that with Contiguous Blue.

So I ripped out the sleeve and reknit it in needles 4,5 mm, telling myself to relax and keep a loose gauge with every stitch. Then I learned that this sweater needs a different pace of decreasing than Deco Cardi. It grew way too tight when I follow the numbers from Deco Cardi. Is this because of the cable? Did my row gauge change when I changed needles? I don’t know. All I know is that I had knit to the elbow but had to rip it all out and start again.

On the third time knitting this sleeve, on the right size needle, rememebring to knit relaxed and loose and finding it’s own rate of decrease I then relearned that I shouldn’t forget to tug the p-stitch before and after the cable. Because I often have laddering between p and k stitches and around the cable it was especially showing this time. I had learned this previously from this sweater but having it parked for a couple of weeks I had now forgotten. So had to rip out the sleeve. Again.

So there I was the morning before we left to go to the cabin: reknitting the sleeve, on the right needles, with relaxed gauge, having a right pace of decreases and remembering to tug the p-stitches. That’s when I learned that when a cable turns every third right side row it actually means it turns every sixth row…

That’s how you go from knitting to and fro to knitting in the round. That’s why my new cables look so small and tight compared to the ones higher up the sleeve. But nicely tugged though, no laddering.

Today, at the cabin, I eventually managed to do everything right:

btw, doesn’t the wool wear well, after being knit five times? It’s of course Irish bred and spun wool: Donegal Heather from Donegal Yarns.

Now I only have to design a detail where this cable blooms into some kind of flower. I want this on the sleeve and also on the bodice. But first I’ll knit on this a little bit as is. To chisel how to knit this sleeve into my muscle memory.

Today I also tried on on Holle Cardi. It’s not entirely dry yet and I want to attach the buttons before I call it finished. But here’s a sneak preview of me picking off the numerous cat hairs:

This yarn was a true hair magnet and since I knitted this project as a stress relief I didn’t bother to pick them out while knitting.
Real finished photos will come when I’ve attached the buttons.

The Indigo is blooming:

Next to it grows some bright yellow “smurrie” on the tree stump that holds the bird feeder in Winter:

It’s called “witches’ butter” in Dutch and “scrambled egg slime” in English speaking countries. It’s Fuligo septica, a living being that’s neither a plant nor an animal.

I plucked a bit more reed flowers and tried to dye some cotton t-shirts:

Something’s not going right here….
I added more reed. Cooked it for another hour. Still looked weird. Might the flowers be too late in season? No green to be seen.

By then we had to leave for the city. So I turned down the heat and left it as is. It will slowly cool and then it will sit in the pot for a week, hopefully developing some colour.
A little surprise for me to unveil when I return here next Friday.

Let’s hope it’s a surprise low on “smurrie”, witches’ butter or live creatures…

I then stuffed wool, cats and myself in the car and we drove to the city. I was knitting on my Noro legwarmer, the one where you have to carefully stack your colours, when:

hmpf! A knot in the ball with an abrupt colour change!

A little wile later: HMPF 2!

I don’t need Noro to make this colour coordinating any more difficult than it is!

When I’m in the city again there will be tea and a cat on my lap and knitting on Emma. Wollmeise has excellent quality control and no knots in the regular skeins.

Advertisements

One thought on “Day 2 at the cabin

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s