Corespinning on the Countryspinner.

this morning:

One basket gone. One bobbin full.

The fleece was scoured and put through the wool picker last year. This meant that the locks are teased and it’s all nice and fluffy. But they still were discernible from each other and the colours were not mixed.

I corespun them around a thread of fluffy alpaca (Lang Yarn Super Superlight). I could also have used mohair. I made sure the core was covered with fleece every inch of the way because the core is red.

I keep the red thread in a certain way to ease the tension, the wheel has quite a bit of pull and the thread was digging into my skin. I did hack the Countryspinner spinning wheel so its pull can be reduced but this corespinning technique requires minimal twist hence adequate pull.

Also…. my shoulder is piping up. With all the small handmovements corespinning surely is competing with Skew knitting when it comes to shoulder inflammation. I keep better posture while spinning though. So I’m still looking interested to the other two baskets of wool.

Thread from the right, fleece wrapping around it at a near right angle from the left:

Pip, the countryhorse for spinning, gobbling up fluffy yarn:

I plan to keep it as a single and weave it with a warp of white Lang Yarn Alpaca Superlight. Weaving it tightly will keep my handspun from pilling. Because this is a lofty yarn and this fleece wants to break free (doesn’t felt at all).

Lang Yarn Alpaca Superlight is a lovely yarn. It’s a lace but with a halo, you knit it with needles 4 mm or more. It’s one of the few alpaca yarns I don’t sneeze at.
But somehow I do not knit easily with fluffy lace yarns. Nor do I wear the knitwear much.
Which I only found out after I purchased 20 balls of the stuff when it was on sale.

I did try though:

alpaca

Advertisements

Frileuse Mitts and Plying Skills

I started some mitts to go with the Frileuse Hat:

This pattern is Sand Dollar Mitts by Ulrike Fawns. It starts with a nice flowery star. Afterwards you knit across the palm of the hand sideways. Then a thumb:

For Tour de Fleece 2014 things are going well.
Yesterday and today I plied the singles of the Heideschaap. I plied them with a commercial lace yarn and a silk cobweb.
It involved some impressive hand coördination:

I did an experiment of spinning two singles onto the same bobbin and then plying them simultaneously.
There still was some discrepancy between the speed/circumference the two threads were released from the bobbin meaning I had to keep one under tension with my right hand while I plied four threads with my left.
I won’t repeat this experiment.

Here are the two halves onto the same bobbin. With a Louet S10 bobbin held close for scale:

Glad it’s done!
This yarn is about half of the white mountain of carded Heideschaap. It’s about 600 m of nice round aran yarn. I think I’ll ply it again, cabling it. But then I’ll wind it into a center pull ball first so I can ply from the outside and inside.

Any next singles will be spun onto the bobbin and wound into a center pull ball first before plying.

The yarn is really nice, with the three different fibres going on. It will dye splendid I think.